Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cultural Review Assignment

So far I have two ideas, on what I may want to do for my assignment. First topic being based on a film called Defiance.  This film was released in 2008, directed by Edward Zwick. I’ve chosen this film because it displays the life struggle during WW2. It gives the cultural, political, social views at that particular time period. An also all being based upon real events. I’m not one to love the subject of history, but when it comes to this particular event I happen to have a huge spark of interest. http://movies.nytimes.com/2008/12/31/movies/31defi.html
The second topic is based upon the novel of the Life of Pi by Yann Martel. I chose this novel because it reveals different religious fields of spirituality. The novel also connects to the political and social aspects of the religious world. It’s written in three different views through the main character, from past, present, and some what future. Being that I’m religious, I happen to have a connection to the novel. http://www.salon.com/books/review/2002/08/01/martel
Over all the topics I have chose to choose from are very different from one another. But they happen to be very big eye openers, on a historical event and views of the religious world. But if you haven’t seen the film or read the novel I recommend them both, because they are great in there own ways.  
Note: I've linked reviews on both the film and novel, so you can have a first hand on what they are about.  

1 comment:

  1. Either one will work fine, so the choice is really up to you. (Good choice of reviews, by the way.) I also think the ways you're looking at both possibilities are equally strong and seem like they would be good projects. I'll have more to say when you decide on one or the other, but I'd say try to decide which one you like better (or seems easier to do) and go with that one. Also, your blog looks great: really like the design and background color scheme.

    Prof. W.

    ReplyDelete